Chocolate beers use “dark” chocolate or cocoa in any of its forms other than or
in addition to hops to create a distinct (ranging from subtle to intense)
character. Underhopping allows chocolate to contribute to the flavor profile
while not becoming excessively bitter. Beers made with white chocolate should
not be entered into this category. The brewer should list the classic or
experimental style of the base beer, to allow for accurate judging. Beer entries
not accompanied by this information may be at a disadvantage during judging.
Alcohol by Volume: 2.5-12%
Color SRM: 15-50
This Top Ten Chocolate Beer List is from
2012 U.S. Open Beer Championship, Great
American Beer Festival, and the World
1 .Honahpu's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing
2. Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock - Boston Beer Company - Massachusetts
3. Banana Split Chocolate Stout - Thomas Creek Brewing Company
4. Milk Chocolate Cherry Stout - Il Vicino Brewing Company
5. Cocoa for Coconuts - Chicago Brewing Co.
6. X-1 - DuClaw Brewing Co.
7. Házmela Rusa - La Chingonería
8. Odin's Raven - Alpine Beer Co.
9. Chocolate Indulgence Stout -
Brewery Ommegang - New York
10. Earth Chocolate Milk Stout -
Midnight Sun Brewing - Alaska