Chocolate beers use “dark” chocolate or cocoa in any of its forms other than or
in addition to hops to create a distinct (ranging from subtle to intense)
character. Underhopping allows chocolate to contribute to the flavor profile
while not becoming excessively bitter. Beers made with white chocolate should
not be entered into this category. The brewer should list the classic or
experimental style of the base beer, to allow for accurate judging. Beer entries
not accompanied by this information may be at a disadvantage during judging.
Alcohol by Volume: 2.5-12%
Color SRM: 15-50
This Top Ten Chocolate Beer List is from America's Best and from the results
of the 2011 U.S. Open Beer Championship.
1. Hunahpu Mayan Chocolate Stout - Cigar City Brewing
2. Maui Imperial Coconut Porter - Maui Brewing
3. Chocolate Ale - Boulevard Brewing Co.
4. Fort Collins Chocolate Stout – Fort Collins Brewing
5. Generation Porter – Sprecher Brewing
6. Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Wells & Young
7. Earth Chocolate Milk
Stout - Midnight Sun Brewing - Alaska
8. Chocolate Indulgence Stout - Brewery Ommegang - New York
Organic Chocolate Stout - Bison Brewing - California
Chocolate Stout - Elevatory Brewery - Ohio