This Top Ten
Porters list is from the results of the
U.S. Open Beer Championship, Great
American Beer Festival, and RateBeer.com.
1. Black Butte Porter - Deschutes Brewery - Oregon
2. Night Watchman - City Star Brewing - Colorado
3. Tom Porter - Piney River Brewing - Missouri
4. Moonlight Porter - Rock Bottom Brewery - Colorado
5. Port Jeff Porter - Port Jeff Brewing - New York
6. Deadeye Jack - Lonerider Brewing - North Carolina
7. Velvet Hammer Vanilla Porter - Lake Bluff Brewing - Illinois
8. Double Decker - Brewing Bus Brewing - Florida
9. Black Robusto Porter - Drake’s Brewing - California
10. St. Charles Porter - Blackstone Brewing - Tennessee
Brown porters are mid to dark brown in color. No roast barley or strong burnt/black malt character should be perceived. Low to medium malt sweetness is acceptable along with medium hop bitterness. This is a light- to medium-bodied beer. Fruity esters are acceptable. Hop flavor and aroma may vary from being negligible to medium in character.
OG: 1.040 – 1.052
FG: 1.008 – 1.014
IBUs: 18 – 35
SRM: 20 – 30
ABV: 4 – 5.4%
Robust porters are black in color and have a roast malt flavor but no roast barley flavor. These porters have a sharp bitterness of black malt without a highly burnt/charcoal flavor. Robust porters range from medium to full in body and have a malty sweetness. Hop bitterness is medium to high, with hop aroma and flavor ranging from negligible to medium. Diacetyl is not acceptable. Fruity esters should be evident, balanced with roast malt and hop bitterness.