This Top Ten Märzen / Oktoberfest Beer List is from America's Best and Top Ten
and the 2010 U.S. Open Beer Championship.
1. Snake River
Lager – Snake River Brewing - Wyoming
2. Heavy Seas Marzen – Clipper City Brewing - Maryland
3. Capital Fest – Captial Brewery - Wisconsin
4. Paulaner Oktoberfest - Paulaner Salvator Thomasbraeu - Germany
5. Left Hand Oktoberfest - Left Hand Brewing - Colorado
6. Staghorn Octoberfest - New Glarus Brewing - Wisconsin
7. Great Lakes Oktoberfest - Great Lakes Brewing - Ohio
8. Dogtoberfest - Flying Dog Brewery - Maryland
9. Bell's Octoberfest - Bell's Brewery - Michigan
10. Ayinger Oktober Fest - Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer / Brauerei Aying
Märzens are characterized by a medium body and broad range of color. They can range from golden to reddish orange. Sweet maltiness should dominate slightly over a clean, hop bitterness. Malt character should be light-toasted rather than strongly caramel (though a low level of light caramel character is acceptable). Bread or biscuit-like malt character is acceptable in aroma and flavor. Hop aroma and flavor should be low but notable. Ale-like fruity esters should not be perceived. Diacetyl and chill haze should not be perceived.
Alcohol by Weight: 4-4.7%
Color SRM: 4-15