This Top Oatmeal Stout list is from America's Top Ten and from the results of the 2011
U.S. Open Beer Championship.
1. Samuel Smith's Oatmeal
Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery - England
2. Shipwrecked Stout, Maui Brewing - Hawaii
3. Alaskan Stout - Alaskan Brewing - Alaska
4. Anderson Valley Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout, Anderson Valley Brewing - California
Clustard's Last Stout - Montana Brewing - Montana
Starry Night Stout - Grand Canyon Brewing, Arizona
7. The Poet - New Holland Brewing - Michigan
8. Schlafly Oatmeal Stout - Saint Louis Brewery - Missouri
9. Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout - Breckenridge Brewery - Colorado
10. Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales, Oregon
Oatmeal stouts include oatmeal in their grist, resulting in a pleasant, full flavor and a smooth profile that is rich without being grainy. A roasted malt character which is caramel like and chocolate like should be evident — smooth and not bitter. Coffee like roasted barley and roasted malt aromas (chocolate and nut like) are prominent. Bitterness is moderate, not high. Hop flavor and aroma are optional but should not overpower the overall balance if present. This is a medium- to full-bodied beer, with minimal fruity esters. Diacetyl should be absent or at extremely low levels.
Alcohol by Weight: 3.0-4.8%
Color SRM: 20+