This Top Ten Imperial IPA or India Pale Ales list is from America's Best and from the results of the 2011
U.S. Open Beer Championship.
1. Hop Henge Experimental IPA – Deschutes Brewery, Oregon
2. Swamp Ape IPA – Florida Beer Company, Florida
3. Moylans Double IPA - Moylans Brewery, California
4. Myrcenary Double IPA - Odell Brewing, Colorado
5. Lost Continent - Grand Tetons Brewing - Idaho
6. Hop Czar - Bridgeport Brewing, Oregon
7. Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing, California
8. Gubna - Oskar Blues Brewery, Colorado
9. Imperial IPA - Anderson Valley Brewing, California
10. Full Nelson IPA - Widmer Brothers, Oregon
Imperial / Double India Pale Ale
Imperial India Pale Ales have intense hop bitterness, flavor and arom Alcohol content is high to very high and notably evident. They range from deep golden to amber in color. The style may use any variety of hops. Though the hop character is intense it’s balanced with complex alcohol flavors, moderate to high fruity esters and medium to high malt character. Hop character should be fresh and lively and should not be harsh in quality. The use of large amounts of hops may cause a degree of appropriate hop haze. Imperial or Double India pale ales have medium-high to full body. Diacetyl should not be perceived.
Alcohol by Weight: 6.0-8.4%
Color SRM: 5-13