This Top Ten German Pilsener list is from America's Best and
from the results of the 2010 U.S. Open Beer Championship.
1. Summer Pils - South Street Brewery - Virginia
2. Dutch Republic 1581 - World Brews
3. Capital Pilsner – Captial Brewery - Wisconsin
August Schell Brewing
Scrimshaw Pilsner - North Coast Brewing
6. Stoudt's Pils - Stoudts
7. Spaten Pils - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu
8. Über Pils - Rogue Ales Brewery
9. Trumer Pils - Trumer Brauerei
10. Mahr's Pilsner - Mahr's Brau
A classic German Pilsener is very light straw or golden in color and well hopped. Hop bitterness is high. Noble-type hop aroma and flavor are moderate and quite obvious. It is a well-attenuated, medium-light bodied beer, but a malty residual sweetness can be perceived in aroma and flavor. Very low levels of sweet corn-like dimethylsulfide (DMS) character are below most beer drinker’s taste threshold. Other fermentation or hop related sulfur compounds, when perceived at low levels, may be characteristic of this style. Fruity esters and diacetyl should not be perceived. There should be no chill haze. Its head should be dense and rich.
Alcohol by Volume: 4-5%
Color SRM: 3-4