This Top Ten German Pilsener list is from America's Top 10 and
from the results of the 2011 U.S. Open Beer Championship.
1. Neustadt Lager - Neustadt Brewing, Canada
2. Summer Pils - Sprecher Brewing, Wisconsin
3. Zatac - Žatecký Pivovar, Germany
4. Helmet Fire - Lexington Ave Brewery, North Carolina
August Schell Brewing, Minnesota
6. Stoudt's Pils - Stoudts
7. Spaten Pils - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu,
8. Mama's Little Yella Pils, Oskar Blues Brewery,
9. Scrimshaw Pilsner - North Coast
10. Mahr's Pilsner - Mahr's Brau,
A classic German Pilsener is very light straw or golden in color and well hopped. Hop bitterness is high. Noble-type hop aroma and flavor are moderate and quite obvious. It is a well-attenuated, medium-light bodied beer, but a malty residual sweetness can be perceived in aroma and flavor. Very low levels of sweet corn-like dimethylsulfide (DMS) character are below most beer drinker’s taste threshold. Other fermentation or hop related sulfur compounds, when perceived at low levels, may be characteristic of this style. Fruity esters and diacetyl should not be perceived. There should be no chill haze. Its head should be dense and rich.
Alcohol by Volume: 4-5%
Color SRM: 3-4