This Top Ten German Kolsch list is from America's
Top Ten and from the results of the 2011
U.S. Open Beer Championship.
Sunner Kolsch - Gebr. Sünner GmbH & Co, Germany
2. Endless River – Mother Earth Brewing, North Carolina
3. Kolsch - Big Bear Brewing, Florida
4. Zommerfest - August Schell Brewing - Minnesota
5. Harpoon Summer Beer - Harpoon Summer Beer - Massachusetts
6. Crystal Ale - Big Sky Brewing - Montana
7. Geary's Summer Ale - Geary's Brewing - Vermont
8. Gaffel Kölsch - Privabrauerei Gaffel Becker - Germany
9. Alaskan Summer Ale - Alaskan Brewing - Alaska
10. Gold Spike Ale - Berkshire Brewing - Massachusetts
Kölsch is warm fermented and aged at cold temperatures (German ale or alt beer). Kölsch is characterized by a golden to straw color and a slightly dry, subtly sweet softness on the palate, yet crisp. Good, dense head retention is desirable. A light fruitiness may be apparent, but is not necessary for this style. Caramel character should not be evident. The body is light to medium-light. This beer has low hop flavor and aroma with medium bitterness. Wheat can be used in brewing this beer. Ale yeast is used for fermentation, though lager yeast is sometimes used in the bottle or final cold conditioning process. Fruity esters should be minimally perceived, if at all. Chill haze should be absent.
Alcohol by Weight: 3.8-4.2%
Color SRM: 4-6