Home > Best Bock Beer - Top 10 Ranked by the 2010 U.S. Open Beer Championship
Best Bock Beer - Top 10 Ranked by the 2010 U.S. Open Beer Championship
This Top Ten Bock Beer List is from America's Best and from the results of the
2010 U.S. Open Beer Championship.
1. Capital Mai Bock – Captial Brewery - Wisconsin
2. Sprecher Mai Bock – Sprecher Brewing - Wisconsin
3. Dump Truck – Bayern Brewing - Montana
4. South St. Spring Bock, South Street Brewing
5. Bucking Bock, Rahr Brewing
6. Millstream Schokolade Bock - Millstream Brewing - Iowa
7. Bucking Bock, Rahr Brewing
8. Schell Maifest, Schell Brewing
9. Aass Bock - Aass Brewery - Norway
10. Saranac Black Diamond Bock - Matt Brewing - New York
Subcategory: German Bock
Traditional bocks are made with all malt and are strong, malty, medium- to full-bodied, bottom-fermented beers with moderate hop bitterness that should increase proportionately with the starting gravity. Hop flavor should be low and hop aroma should be very low. Bocks can range in color from deep copper to dark brown. Fruity esters should be minimal.
Alcohol by Weight: 5-6%
Color SRM: 20-30
Subcategory: German Heller Bock/Maibock
The German word helle means light colored, and as such, a heller Bock is light straw to deep golden in color. Maibocks are also light-colored bocks. The malty character should come through in the aroma and flavor. Body is medium to full. Hop bitterness should be low, while noble-type hop aroma and flavor may be at low to medium levels. Bitterness increases with gravity. Fruity esters may be perceived at low levels. Diacetyl levels should be very low. Chill haze should not be perceived.
Alcohol by Weight: 5-6.4%
Color SRM: 4-10