Top Ten Belgian Witbier list is from the results of the
2011 U.S. Open Beer Championship.
1. Oranje Weisse Permium White - Amsterdam Brewery
2. Infinite Wit - Nebraska Brewing
3. Pike Dry Wit - Pike Brewing
4. Celis White – Michigan Brewing
5. Keywest Southernmost Wheat – Florida Beer Company
6. Hoegaarden - Brouwerij van Hoegaarden - Belgium
7. Allagash White - Allagash Brewing Company - Maine
8. Bell's Winter White Ale - Bell's Brewery - Michigan
9. Mothership Wit - New Belgium - Colorado
10. Sweetwater Hummer - Sweetwater Brewing - Georgia
Belgian white ales are very pale in color and are brewed using unmalted wheat and malted barley and are spiced with coriander and orange peel. Coriander and light orange peel aroma should be perceived. Phenolic spiciness and yeast flavors may be evident at mild levels. These beers are traditionally bottle conditioned and served cloudy. An unfiltered nearly opaque haze should be part of the appearance. The style is further characterized by the use of noble-type hops to achieve a low hop bitterness and little to no apparent hop flavor. This beer has low to medium body, no diacetyl, and a low to medium fruity-ester level. Mild acidity is appropriate. Brewer may indicate on the bottle whether the yeast should be intentionally roused or if they prefer that the entry be poured as quietly as possible.