This Top Ten American brown ales
list is from America's Top Ten and from the results of the 2011 US Open Beer Championship.
1. Bitch Creek Ale - Grand Teton Brewing, Idaho
2. 10W30 - Neustadt Brewing, Canada
3. Hapa Brown Ale - Hawaii Nui Brewery, Hawaii
4. LoneRider Sweet Josie - LoneRider Brewing, North Carolina
5. Duck-Rabbit Brown Ale - Duck Rabbit Brewery - North Carolina
6. Brooklyn Brown Ale - Brooklyn Brewery - New York
7. California Brown Ale - North Coast Brewing - California
8. Sixpoint Brownstone - Sixpoint Craft Ales
9. Bellaire Brown Ale - Short's Brewing - Michigan
10. Ipswich Dark Ale - Mercury Brewing - Massachusetts
American Brown Ale
American brown ales range from deep copper to brown in color. Roasted malt caramel-like and chocolate-like characters should be of medium intensity in both flavor and arom American brown ales have an evident hop aroma, medium to high hop bitterness, low to medium hop flavor and a medium body. Estery and fruity-ester characters should be subdued; diacetyl should not be perceived. Chill haze is allowable at cold temperatures.
Alcohol by Weight: 3.3-5.0%
Color SRM: 15-26