This Top Ten American Amber / Red Ales list is from America's Top Ten and from the results of the
2011 U.S. Open Beer Championship.
1. Laughing Skull Ale - Redbrick Brewing, Georgia
2. Big Island Red Giant - Big Island Brewhaus, Hawaii
3. Stone Levitation Ale - Stone Brewing, California
4. Full Sail Amber, Full Sail Brewing - Oregon
Drop Kick, Dunedin Brewing - Florida
6. Appalachian Amber Ale, Thomas Creek Brewing - South Carolina
7. Key West Sunset Ale, Florida Brewing - Florida
Anderson Valley Boont Amber Ale - California
Sunset Amber, Grand Canyon Brewing - Arizona
10. Hopback Amber Ale - Troegs Brewing - Pennsylvania
American Amber / Red Ales
American amber/red ales range from light copper to light brown in color. They are characterized by American-variety hops used to produce high hop bitterness, flavor, and medium to high aroma. Amber ales have medium-high to high maltiness with medium to low caramel character. They should have medium to medium-high body. The style may have low levels of fruity-ester flavor and arom Diacetyl can be either absent or barely perceived at very low levels. Chill haze is allowable at cold temperatures. Slight yeast haze is acceptable for bottle-conditioned products.
Alcohol by Weight: 3.5-4.8%
Color SRM: 11-18