This Top Ten German Altbier list is from America's Best and from the results of the 2009 US Open Beer Championship.
Copper Ale, Otter Creek Brewing
Diebels Alt, Brauerei Diebels
Frankenheim Alt, Privatbrauerei Frankenheim
4. Uerige Altbier - Uerige Obergarige Hausbrauerei
5. Ten Years Alt -
6. Victor's MemoriAle Altbier - Two Brothers Brewing
7. Alle Tage Altbier - McNeill's Brewery
8. Alaskan Amber - Alaskan Brewing
9. Schmaltz's Alt - August Schell Brewing
10. Headwall Alt - Tuckerman
Copper to brown in color, this German ale may be highly hopped and intensely bitter (although the 25 to 35 IBU range is more normal for the majority of Altbiers from Düsseldorf) and has a medium body and malty flavor. A variety of malts, including wheat, may be used. Hop character may be medium to high in the flavor and arom The overall impression is clean, crisp, and flavorful often with a dry finish. Fruity esters can be low to medium-low. No diacetyl or chill haze should be perceived.
Alcohol by Weight: 3.6-4.4%
Color SRM: 11-19