This Top Ten List of Imperial
Stouts is from America's Best and Top Ten and from the results of the 2011
U.S. Open Beer Championship.
1. Dirac – Cigar City Brewing - Florida
2. The Abyss - Deschutes Brewery - Oregon
3. Tempest Imperial Stout - Amsterdams Brewing - Canada
4. Ten Fidy, Oskar Blues Brewing - Colorado
5. Samuel Smiths Imperial Stout - Samuel Smith's Brewery - England
6. Sam Adams Imperial Stout, Boston Beer Company - Massachuetts
7. Imperial Russian Stout –
Stone Brewing - California
8. Dragonstooth Stout - Elysian Brewing Company - Washington
9. Stoudt's Fat Dog - Stoudts Brewing - Pennsylvania, USA
10. Nebraska Imperial Stout, Nebraska
Brewing - Nebraska
American Imperial Stouts
Black to very black,
American-style imperial stouts typically have a high alcohol content.
Generally characterized as very robust. The extremely rich malty flavor and
aroma are balanced with assertive hopping and fruity-ester characteristics.
Bitterness should be moderately high to very high and balanced with full
sweet malt character. Roasted malt astringency and bitterness can be
moderately perceived but should not overwhelm the overall character. Hop
aroma is usually moderately-high to overwhelmingly hop-floral, -citrus or
-herbal. Diacetyl (butterscotch) levels should be absent.