This Top Ten
Porters list is from the results of the
U.S. Open Beer Championship, Great
American Beer Festival, and RateBeer.com.
1. Capella Porter Ecliptic Brewing Oregon
2. Black Shack Porter - Wachusett Brewing - Massachusetts
3. Double Decker Brew Bus Brewing Florida
4. Point Reyes Porter - Marin Brewing - California
5. Asylum Porter 42 North Brewing New York
6. Honey Porter Three Spirits Brewing North Carolina
7. Chelsea Moylans Porter Moylans Brewing California
8. Tabula Rasa Toasted Porter - Second Chance Beer Co. - California
9. Shallow Grave - Heretic Brewing Co. - California
10. Pops Porter Wynwood Brewing Florida
Brown porters are mid to dark brown in color. No roast barley or strong burnt/black malt character should be perceived. Low to medium malt sweetness is acceptable along with medium hop bitterness. This is a light- to medium-bodied beer. Fruity esters are acceptable. Hop flavor and aroma may vary from being negligible to medium in character.
OG: 1.040 – 1.052
FG: 1.008 – 1.014
IBUs: 18 – 35
SRM: 20 – 30
ABV: 4 – 5.4%
Robust porters are black in color and have a roast malt flavor but no roast barley flavor. These porters have a sharp bitterness of black malt without a highly burnt/charcoal flavor. Robust porters range from medium to full in body and have a malty sweetness. Hop bitterness is medium to high, with hop aroma and flavor ranging from negligible to medium. Diacetyl is not acceptable. Fruity esters should be evident, balanced with roast malt and hop bitterness.