This Top Ten American brown ales list is from America's Best and from the results of the 2009 US Open Beer Championship.
1. India Brown Ale – Terrapin Beer Company - Georgia
2. Birch Creek ESB, Teton Brewing - Idaho
3. 10W30, Neustadt Spring Brewing - Canada
4. Buzzsaw Brown - Deschutes Brewery - Oregon
5. Duck-Rabbit Brown Ale - Duck Rabbit Brewery - North Carolina
6. Ipswich Dark Ale - Mercury Brewing - Massachusetts
7. California Brown Ale - North Coast Brewing - California
8. Sixpoint Brownstone - Sixpoint Craft Ales
9. Bellaire Brown Ale - Short's Brewing - Michigan
10. Brooklyn Brown Ale - Brooklyn Brewery - New York
American Brown Ale
American brown ales range from deep copper to brown in color. Roasted malt caramel-like and chocolate-like characters should be of medium intensity in both flavor and arom American brown ales have an evident hop aroma, medium to high hop bitterness, low to medium hop flavor and a medium body. Estery and fruity-ester characters should be subdued; diacetyl should not be perceived. Chill haze is allowable at cold temperatures.
Alcohol by Weight: 3.3-5.0%
Color SRM: 15-26