This Top Ten American Stouts list is from the
results of the 2016
U.S. Open Beer Championship, Great
American Beer Festival, and RateBeer.com.
1. P2P - 10 Barrel
Brewing - Oregon
2. Jo-Jo’s Midnight Stout – Fifth Street Brewing – Ohio
3. Jemmy American Stout - Wrecking Bar Brewpub - Georgia
4. Happy Endings – Sweetwater Brewing – Georgia
5. Black Cliffs - Boise Brewing - Idaho
6. Sasquatch – 903 Brewers – Texas
7. The Volcanist - Societe Brewing - California
8. Kilgore Stout - Beachwood BBQ & Brewing - California
9. Rise American Stout - Revolution Brewing - Illinois
10. Osbidian Stout – Deschutes Brewery – Oregon
Initial low to medium malt sweetness with a degree of caramel,
chocolate and/or roasted coffee flavor with a distinctive
dry-roasted bitterness in the finish. Coffee-like roasted barley and
roasted malt aromas are prominent. Some slight roasted malt acidity
is permissible and a medium- to full-bodied mouthfeel is
appropriate. Hop bitterness may be moderate to high. Hop aroma and
flavor is moderate to high often with American citrus-type and/or
resiny hop character. The perception of fruity esters is low.
Roasted malt/barley astringency may be low but not excessive.
Diacetyl (butterscotch) should be negligible or not perceived. Head
retention is excellent.
Alcohol by Weight: 4.5-7%
Color SRM: 40+