This Top Ten American Brown Ales list is from the results of the
U.S. Open Beer Championship, Great
American Beer Festival, and RateBeer.com.
1. Paradigm Brown Ale
- Kelsen Brewing - New Hampshire
2. Face Down Brown - Telluride Brewing - Colorado
3. Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale - Dogfish Head Brewing - Delaware
4. Locomotive Brown Ale - Gillette Brewing - Wyoming
5. Braggarts Brown Ale - Diebolt Brewing - Colorado
6. Upslope Brown Ale - Upslope Brewing - Colorado
7. Terrestrial India Brown Ale - Wellington Brewery - Canada
8. Southern Pecan - Lazy Magnolia Brewing - Mississippi
9. Cubano-Style Espresso Brown Ale - Cigar City Brewing - Florida
10. Rogue Farms Fresh Roast Ale - Rogue Ales - Oregon
American Brown Ale
American brown ales range from deep copper to brown in color.
Roasted malt caramel-like and chocolate-like characters should be of
medium intensity in both flavor and aroma American brown ales have
an evident hop aroma, medium to high hop bitterness, low to medium
hop flavor and a medium body. Estery and fruity-ester characters
should be subdued; diacetyl should not be perceived. Chill haze is
allowable at cold temperatures.
Alcohol by Weight: 3.3-5.0%
Color SRM: 15-26