This Top Ten Imperial IPA or India Pale Ales list is from the results of the 2012 U.S. Open Beer Championship, Great American Beer Festival, and the World Beer Cup.
1. Humulo Nimbus - Sound Brewery
2. Hopasaurs Rex - Steelhead Brewing
3. Pugsley's Signature Series XXXX - Shipyard Brewing
4. Incredible Hop Imperial IPA - Fort Collins Brewing
5. Citra Double IPA Kern River Brewing
6. Double Jack Firestone Walker Brewing
7. Imperial IPA - Epic Brewing
8. Poor Man's IPA - Pizza Port Carlsbad
9. Saint Arnold Endeavour - Saint Arnold Brewing
10. Palate Wrecker -Green Flash Brewing
Imperial / Double India Pale Ale
Imperial India Pale Ales have intense hop bitterness, flavor and arom Alcohol content is high to very high and notably evident. They range from deep golden to amber in color. The style may use any variety of hops. Though the hop character is intense it’s balanced with complex alcohol flavors, moderate to high fruity esters and medium to high malt character. Hop character should be fresh and lively and should not be harsh in quality. The use of large amounts of hops may cause a degree of appropriate hop haze. Imperial or Double India pale ales have medium-high to full body. Diacetyl should not be perceived.
Alcohol by Weight: 6.0-8.4%
Color SRM: 5-13