This Top Ten List of English Pale Ales is from the results of the 2012 U.S. Open Beer Championship, Great American Beer Festival, and the World Beer Cup.
1. Hurricane Reef Pale Ale - Florida Beer Company
2. Schooner Pale Ale - Port Jeff Brewing
3. Hooligan English Pale Ale - Sprecher Brewing
4. Clear Creek Pale Ale - Silver City Brewery
5. MacTarnahan's Amber Ale - MacTarnahan's
6. Prime Time Pale Ale - Big Time Brewery
7. Annadel Pale Ale - Third Street Aleworks
8. Caldera Ashland Amber - Caldera Brewing Co.
9. Summit Extra Pale Ale - Summit Brewing Co.
10. Mirror Pond Pale Ale - Deschutes Brewing
English Pale Ale
Classic English pale ales are golden to copper colored and display earthy, herbal English-variety hop character. Note that “earthy, herbal English-variety hop character” is the perceived end, but may be a result of the skillful use of hops of other national origins. Medium to high hop bitterness, flavor, and aroma should be evident. This medium-bodied pale ale has low to medium malt flavor and arom Low caramel character is allowable. Fruity-ester flavors and aromas are moderate to strong. Chill haze may be in evidence only at very cold temperatures. The absence of diacetyl is desirable, though, diacetyl (butterscotch character) is acceptable and characteristic when at very low levels.
Alcohol by Weight: 3.5-4.2%
Color SRM: 5-14