This Top Ten Schwarzbier List is from America's Best and from the results of the 2011 U.S. Open Beer Championship.
1. New Belgium 1544 - New Belgium Brewing
2. Saranac Black Forrest - F.X. Matt Brewing Company
3. Black Bavarian – Sprecher Brewing
4. Death And Taxes - Moonlight Brewing
5. Black Lager – Boston Beer Company - Massachusetts
6. Kidd Lager - Fort Collins Brewing - Colorado
7. Moonlit Sessions Lager - Port Brewing - USA
8. Ugly Pug Black Lager - Rahr & Sons Brewing
9. Xingu Black Beer- Cervejaria Sul Brasileira - Brasil
10. Bohemian Black Lager - Spoetzl Brewery - Texas
These very dark brown to black beers have a mild roasted malt character without the associated bitterness. This is not a full-bodied beer, but rather a moderate body gently enhances malt flavor and aroma with low to moderate levels of sweetness. Hop bitterness is low to medium in character. Noble-type hop flavor and aroma should be low but perceptible. There should be no fruity esters. Diacetyl should not be perceived.
Alcohol by Weight: 3-3.9%
Color SRM: 25-30